Monday 8 September 2014

My trip to Berlin

It's almost the end of the summer holidays, I'm going back to Aberystwyth to start my second year tomorrow, though lectures don't start for another three weeks. I'm going back so early as I have some job interviews during the later part of this week. End of Summer (Nearly) It's almost the end of the summer holidays, I'm going back to Aberystwyth to start my second year tomorrow, though lectures don't start for another three weeks. I'm going back so early as I have some job interviews during the later part of this week.


This summer has been varied and fairly busy, which has been nice as I've always had something to do and I haven't got too bored. I started the summer with six weeks of work which was really boring but I needed the money so I can't really complain. I then spent a few weeks at home, not doing a great deal but enjoying my time, relaxing and catching up with friends from school who I hand't seen for a few months. 

The Brandenburg Gate
I have also just got back from a week in Berlin with my girlfriend which was really nice. We were both quite interested in going to Germany and Berlin in particular, but for different reasons. I,  as a German student, really enjoyed being surrounded by the language and being able to test myself in an active environment where everyone is speaking it around me and I think I coped very well with this. My girlfriend, Emma, is a history student who is really interested in the history of the 20th Century, and especially the Cold war. This did mean a certain amount of her inner "history nerd" as she called it being unleashed anytime we passed some sort of museum or memorial. However that was not a major issue for me as I am also fairly interested in that period but I was more interested in attempting to improve my German. 

Our 1986 Trabant
We started the trip off with a self-drive tour in a Trabant at +Trabi Safari Berlin, which was an amazing experience that I would recommend to anyone who can drive and wants to see the city in a unique and different way. We then went to the Jewish museum which was incredible, the architecture was designed in such a way that you were always unnerved or uncomfortable, which added to the emotion as we read accounts of German Jews during both wars and saw various pictures of Jews in ghettos and concentration camps. 

Checkpoint Charlie
We visited a few other museums, my favourite, the Neues Museum, which boasts the bust of Nefertiti as it's prize attraction. This museum was full of exhibits about ancient cultures such as the Egyptians, the Romans alongside the Germanic tribes of that period amongst other things. We also visited the Checkpoint Charlie museum, which was quite good, however it felt a bit like they had tried to fit too much information into to small a space which was a shame, it all felt quite cluttered. However they did have various examples of contraptions people had made in order to escape from East Germany which were really interesting.

It's a shame that the holidays are almost over but I'm sort of looking forward to this year, I guess I'll just have to see how it goes, anyway here are a few more pictures from the holiday.


Das Fernsehturm - The TV Tower


Berlin Wall Memorial

Memorial to the Jews killed in the Holocaust

No comments:

Post a Comment