Sunday 28 September 2014

Back to work

Here it is, the end of the summer holidays. It's a shame in some ways, the lack of important things to do was quite nice, however it has started to become a bit boring. Having nothing to do all day is surprisingly difficult even though during the busy periods of the year they seem so easy and are often what we look forward to. 

I came to realise that there are two kinds of boredom over the summer. There's the boredom you get while working or studying where you are mainly bored due to there not being much to do other than what you've been told to do, and the boredom you get when you've done everything you want to do and there's nothing left. I managed to get some sort of mixture of these over the summer through the few weeks of work at the beginning of the holidays and the free time throughout the rest of it.

I can't decide which I prefer. Obviously boredom is never a good thing, but the advantage of the boredom when there are things to do is that often there is some reward at the end of it. This could be the wages that you are being paid or the satisfaction of completing the work at the end of it, which is nice. But then the other kind of boredom is normally a lot easier to get rid of because you have the freedom to do whatever you want and are normally not constrained by anything other than the things around you. 

Obviously I can't really speak for everyone but I much prefer the first kind of boredom. I think I just have issues finding things to do that will keep me occupied for longer periods of time. I keep finding things to do that keep me occupied for a while but then would become boring after a while.  It's not that I have any sort of attention-span issues it's just that I can't go back to something that I've gotten bored of for a while.

Either way, university lectures start back again on monday so that should give me something to do. I am also hoping to do a few more extra-curricular activities this year so that should give me plenty to do. In the meantime though, I'm going to go and watch some random videos on YouTube...

No comments:

Post a Comment